For pedestrians using the Hwy 24 crosswalks:
- Be wary. Wait until all traffic stops before stepping into the highway.
- Look both ways before crossing. Be alert for vehicles turning onto the highway from a side street.
- Do not assume that pushing the button to start the flashers will automatically stop traffic flow.
- Continue to check for traffic while crossing.
For drivers on Hwy 24:
- Be alert and stop for pedestrians when the beacons flash. On sunny days, be aware that the flashing yellow lights can be difficult to distinguish from the glare of sunlight off other vehicles, windows, etc.
- Don't rely on the behavior of other drivers to tell you whether or not there is a pedestrian in the crosswalk -- always check for yourself.
- Proceed only when you're sure the crosswalk is clear.