Special Event Information

Special Events help make our community unique. In order to hold an event on land that the Town owns you will have to go through the Special Event process. A permit is required for any event that meets one or more of the following criteria:

  • 100 or more people will attend;
  • Alcohol will be served;
  • One or more streets will need to be closed;
  • The event will utilize amplified sound;
  • Multiple vendors will be in attendance;
  • Camping will be involved; or
  • The event might be deemed a safety hazard by the Town Administrator.
Muerte Cross

Private events -- those events held on private property -- usually do not need to go through the special event process. The special event permit application normally only applies to those events held on public property controlled by the Town of Buena Vista.

In order to obtain your Special Event Permit, we ask that all applications be turned in no later than 30 days prior to the event so all parties can make reasonable arrangements that the event might need. Please download and fill out all applications below that will be necessary for you to hold your event:

There are some important items to note if you want to hold a Special Event:

  • You will be required to have insurance and name the Town as an additionally insured party.
  • Applicants are also responsible for meeting any other agency requirements. If you plan on having food served or sold at your event please  contact the Chaffee County Public Health Retail Food Program for more information.
  • For special events involving vendors, it is the responsibility of the event organizer to understand the special event vending requirements. If a vendor holds a Buena Vista Business License and can produce their license number they are not subject to the $15 Special Event fee. This fee is for vendors visiting our community. We recommend that vendors get a business license if they plan on attending more than one event in a single calendar year.
  • If you wish to have alcohol at your event, you need to contact the Town Clerk at 719-581-1017.
  • If you would like for your event to allow for camping on public or private property within the Town, please complete and turn in the Special Event Camping Application (PDF).
  • If you would like to use the Town right-of-way to advertise your event, you need to fill out and turn in the Temporary Sign in a Public Place Application.
  • The Town offers fee reductions (PDF) to those events that meet the requirements.
  • There is a 3 year permit available to those events that qualify. If you'd like to discuss whether or not your event qualifies, please contact the Special Events Coordinator.

If you have any questions about your Special Event or the permitting process, please contact our Special Events Coordinator at 719-581-1029 or send them an email.

Aerial view of the town during a special event