Business License Applicants
Before completing your new or renewal business license application, please review the flow chart and carefully read the following information to determine if your business requires a Town of Buena Vista business license.
Per state statute, retailers without a physical presence or an incidental (minimal) physical presence within the Town limits of Buena Vista and who have obtained a state retail license do not need a Town of Buena Vista business license.
Flow Chart Text:
- Does your business have a physical* location in the Town limits of Buena Vista?
- YES >> Your business is required to obtain a Town license that must be renewed annually.
- NO >> Do you regularly (on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, on a regular schedule or appointment) conduct business within the Town limits of Buena Vista?
- NO >> Your business does not need a Town of Buena Vista business license.
- YES >> Does your business have a state standard retail license (sales tax license)?
- NO >> Your business is required to obtain a Town license that must be renewed annually.
- YES >> Your business does not need a Town of Buena Vista business license.
- * A physical location can include a storefront, restaurant, salesroom, warehouse, garage, home office, and food trucks parked in Town on a semi-permanent basis.
- Non-retail businesses that do regular in-town business and do not collect retail sales tax are subject to a license (these businesses may include contractors, electricians, plumbers, cleaning services, land surveyors, doctors, lawyers, cosmetologists, nurses, counselors, therapists, etc.)
- If you have a state standard retail license and remit state tax, your business has an 8 or 12-digit number obtained through the Colorado Department of Revenue. This is NOT the same as your business identification number (EIN or FEIN).
- If you are unsure if your location is within the Town limits, you can reference the zoning map (PDF) or call Town Hall at 719-395-8643.
- Read the full details of the state regulations online.
If you send in a form and payment, and we determine that your business does not need a Town of Buena Vista business license, we will reach out via email with the date that your payment will be destroyed.
Apply for a Business License:
The Town does not have an online application or payment system for business licenses. Please complete one of the following PDF forms, print it, and submit it in person or by mail.
Please remember that based on your business, you may need to also complete one or more of the following:
- Change of Use Form (PDF)
- Home Occupation Form (PDF)
- Tree Service License Application (PDF)
- Temporary Use/Vendor Permit (PDF)
Starting a Business Resources and FAQs:
View The Colorado Business Resource Book (PDF) for information regarding how to start a business in Colorado.
For information on liquor licensing, including special event liquor licensing, please visit the Town Clerk page.
- Where should I begin when opening a business in Buena Vista? First, consider if your desired location is zoned for the type of business you wish to conduct. Check the Town zoning map (PDF) and contact the Planning Department with questions.
- Will I be required to obtain a business license? Using the information on this page, you can determine whether or not your business is required to obtain a Town of Buena Vista business license. I you have questions, contact the Town Clerk Department.
- Is my business required to collect state sales tax? Not all businesses need to collect sales tax, although most do. You can determine if your business requires a state standard retail (sales tax) license on the Colorado Department of Revenue website.
- Can I put a sign up at my business? The installation of new signs and/or modification of existing signs will in most cases require submission of a sign permit (PDF). Contact the Planning Department with questions.
- My business will operate from a physical location/storefront. What if my business differs from the business that used to occupy the space? You will need to submit a change of use form (PDF). This is a Chaffee County form that can be submitted to the Town for transfer to the county offices.
- I am opening a restaurant. What are the additional requirements? Any business that sells food is required by the Town and Chaffee County to acquire a County Heath certificate. Chaffee County Environmental Health conducts health inspections and issues certificates.
- What if I wish to serve alcohol at my establishment? You must obtain both a State and Town liquor license. This can be a lengthy process. Contact the Town Clerk for more information.
- Does my short-term rental require a business license? Short-term rentals have their own unique license and do not require a separate Town business license. More information is available on the Short-Term Rental page.
- What if I wish to conduct business from my home? You will need a Town business license and possibly a home occupation supplemental license (PDF). There is information on the cover page of the home occupation form (PDF) that will help you determine if a home occupation is needed.
- What if my business is a food truck or other semi-permanent vendor booth? You will need a Town business license and a temporary vendor permit. Contact the Planning Department for questions regarding the temp vendor application (PDF).